The bad guys no longer have to break into your office to steal your clients’ most sensitive data. Now, they can just hack into your network from thousands of miles away—and you don’t even know it’s happening until the damage is already done. But there are things that accountants can do to help protect themselves. In this episode of the Journal of Accountancy podcast, guest Nick Graf, an ethical hacker with CNA, discusses all the cyber threats that go bump in the night and ways to prevent them from harming your business.
What you’ll learn in this podcast:
- Just what is an ethical hacker?
- How hackers gain access to a CPA practice’s data.
- The kinds of accounting-related data that most interest hackers.
- The ways in which hackers monetize your most sensitive client data.
- How CPAs can protect themselves from hackers.
- How the three factors of authentication can help keep your data safe.
Play the episode below:
This podcast is designed to provide illustrative information with respect to the subject matter covered, and does not represent an official opinion or position of the AICPA or AICPA.org. It is provided with the understanding that the AICPA and AICPA.org are not engaged in offering legal, accounting or other professional service. If such advice or expert assistance is required, the services of a competent, professional person should be sought. The AICPA and AICPA.org make no representations, warranties or guarantees as to, and assume no responsibility for, the content or application of the material contained herein, and especially disclaim all liability for any damages arising out of the use of, reference to, or reliance on such material.