Opportunities to commit fraud are common for all of us, but not everyone does it. What keeps some people honest and turns others into criminals? It’s a fine line, explored by Kelly Richmond Pope, CPA, CGMA, Ph.D., in several film projects over the years.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Why Pope wants to tell the stories of convicted fraudsters (1:26).
- Why “trust is not an internal control” (3:15).
- How Pope got started making documentary films (6:09).
- A sneak peek of her latest project, a short film with an interactive element (9:34).
- A review of the municipal fraud case in the Illinois town of Dixon (12:53).
- An explanation of the “fraud triangle” (16:15).
Play the episode below:
To comment on this podcast or to suggest an idea for another podcast, contact Neil Amato, a JofA senior editor, at Neil.Amato@aicpa-cima.com.