Misty Geer, CPA, CGMA, believes that strong management goes beyond ethical behavior, efficiency, and carrying out company strategy — even though each of those is important. Managers are a key reason that employees show up to work engaged or not. Geer, the controller for a chemical manufacturer, explains how managers can live their values, set clear expectations on schedules, engage in two-way communication, and more.
What you'll learn from this episode:
- Geer's definition of managing with integrity.
- The importance of consistency as a manager.
- Why managers might not be as aware of staff issues as they should be.
- How "failure is the best teacher" applies to growth as a manager.
- A way to make performance reviews a two-way conversation.
Play the episode below:
To comment on this podcast or to suggest an idea for another podcast, contact Neil Amato, a JofA senior editor, at Neil.Amato@aicpa-cima.com.