John Garrett liked being able to make people laugh — and he was good enough to turn that interest into a career. He has his own podcast, where he regularly interviews finance professionals. Garrett is a former practicing CPA, having worked for PwC and other organizations before going on the road as a stand-up comedian. Today he speaks to corporate and conference audiences on the importance of embracing our passions.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- Why even the best workers can be “invisible.”
- The meaning of the Greek word eudaimonia.
- How an activity such as an improvisational theater can make us better professionals.
- The comedic and CPA link between Garrett and the subject of The Last Word in the Journal of Accountancy in July 2013.
- Garrett’s recollection of meeting Jay Leno for the first time.
- How you can exercise leadership skills and “breathe in happy” in your free time.
Play the episode below:
To comment on this podcast or to suggest an idea for another podcast, contact Neil Amato, a JofA senior editor, at email@example.com.