The AICPA's 2020 PCPS George Willie Ethnically Diverse Student Scholarship & Internship Program provided scholarships and internships to five ethnic minority accounting students who intend to pursue CPA certification.
The program was created in honor of George Willie, a former chair of the AICPA's Private Companies Practice Section Executive Committee and the AICPA Minority Initiatives Committee. Throughout his nearly four-decade career, Willie has promoted the benefits of a career in accounting to students and young professionals in pursuit of the CPA designation.
Recipients receive up to $20,000 to assist with their final academic year and an internship during the 2021 busy season (January to April) sponsored by one of the AICPA's PCPS member firms.
The recipients of the scholarship, as well as where they will be interning and their universities of study, are:
- Tairu Jozaitis: OnTarget CPA, Purdue University Northwest
- Maria Moy: Boyum Barenscheer, University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Audie Murphy: Aronson LLC, University of Baltimore
- Thi Thuy Nguyen: Sensiba San Filippo LLP, California State University, Los Angeles
- Amber Richmond: Reynolds Bone & Griesbeck PLC, The University of Memphis