The AICPA awarded the first William (Bill) Ezzell Scholarships to five CPAs pursuing doctorates in accounting.
The scholarship, which honors the late Ezzell, a former AICPA chairman and Gold Medal Award for Distinguished Service recipient who spearheaded the creation of the Accounting Doctoral Scholars program, provides a one-time award of $10,000 to five outstanding accounting Ph.D. candidates who demonstrate significant potential to become mentors for the next generation of CPAs.
Recipients for the 2019 scholarship, along with their educational institutions, are:
- Kathryn Holmstrom, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Alex Johanns, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Cassie Mongold, The University of Texas at Austin
- Vernan Rivera, University of Connecticut
- Andrea Tillet, Florida State University