Q: To avoid losing documents in the digital universe, we like to insert the document file name and path into the document’s footer. I can still do that with Excel, but I cannot figure out how to do it with Word now that I have upgraded to the 2010 version, and Word’s help section/index doesn’t seem to provide a workable solution. Any suggestions?
A: Inserting the document’s path and file name was a relatively easy task in Word 2003; unfortunately, duplicating this function in Word 2010 is a little more difficult. Word 2010 does offer a solution for inserting the file name and path into the footer (or header) as follows:
1. Double-click the footer (or header) area to make the footer (or header) area active;
2. On the Header & Footer Tools tab, select Quick Parts (from the Insert group);
3. Select Field to display the Field dialog box (shown below);
4. Next select FileName from the Field names list box;
5. Check the check box labeled Add path to filename under Field options (on the right side of the dialog box);
6. Click OK.
If the file name or path changes, the file name and path displayed
in the footer (or header) are updated automatically when you
Print (or preview) the document; or if you prefer,
you can update the file name and path in the footer (or header)
manually by right-clicking on the file name and path and selecting
Update Field from the popup menu.