CPAs under the age of 36 gathered for the second annual AICPA Leadership Academy.
The young CPAs spent three days in workshops and discussions with leaders in the profession. Following graduation from the academy, participants received either an appointment to an AICPA volunteer committee or a state CPA society committee in their home state.
The 30 participants were selected from more than 120 candidates who were sponsored by their employers, state societies or both. All applicants submitted resumes that included their professional volunteer activities, community service and awards, and employment history. They were divided equally between men and women and represented all four of the Institute’s major membership segments: public accounting, business and industry, government, and academia.
The Leadership Academy Class of 2010 includes:
- J. Daniel Bachrach, deSter Corp., Ga.
- Byron Scott Bailey Jr., Martin Marietta Materials Inc., N.C.
- Bradley Bonde, Crowe Horwath LLP, Tenn.
- Sarah Brack, Burt & Co. CPAs LLC, N.M.
- Michael Brown, Jaynes, Reitmeier, Boyd & Therrell PC, Texas
- Kirsten Burbridge, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Fla.
- Chris Cobb, Deloitte, Ind.
- Amanda S. Colgate, Godshall & Colgate LLC, S.C.
- Timothy P. Cowley, Metzler, Locricchio, Serra & Co., Mich.
- Michelle I. Cullion, DiSanto, Priest & Co., R.I.
- Jasmine DeField, Frank, Rimerman + Co. LLP, Calif.
- Jaime Lynn Dernar, FOX Architects LLC, Va.
- Jason Deshayes, Robert F. Butler CPA PC, N.M.
- Marc Filer, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Va.
- Dan Griffiths, Proficio Management, Utah
- Karl Halteman, WIL Research Co. Inc., N.J.
- Teela Hammond, Barnard Vogler & Co., Nev.
- Michael Maksymiw Jr., Carney, Roy and Gerrol PC, Conn.
- Jamie McCoy, Jay & Associates PC, Okla.
- Nicole McGuire, U.S. Government Accountability Office, Washington, D.C.
- Melanie D. Morrow, Grantham Poole CPAs, Miss.
- Darryl Nitta, Accuity LLP, Hawaii
- Jeffrey Parkison, City Utilities of Springfield, Mo.
- Trisha Spader, McFarren & Magnifico CPAs PA, Kan.
- Anil Kumar Sukumaran, Holtz Rubenstein Reminick LLP, N.Y.
- Sarah E. Timmons, Wheeler, Wolfenden & Dwares PA, Del.
- Laura F. Ward, Clifton Gunderson LLP, Ariz.
- Kemberley Washington, Dillard University, La.
- Deetra B. Watson, Blackman & Sloop CPAs PA, N.C.
- Andrea Wright, Johnson Lambert & Co. LLP, Ill.
Robert R. Harris, AICPA 2009–2010 chairman; Barry Melancon, AICPA president and CEO; J. Thomas Hood III, executive director and CEO—Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants; Anthony Pugliese, AICPA senior vice president—Finance, Membership & Operations; and Scott Spiegel, AICPA CFO, were speakers and session leaders for the Leadership Academy.
More from the JofA: