We’ve all been there, panicking during what should be a fun,relaxing vacation when we know an avalanche of work will be facing us upon returning to the office. Here are some tips to ensure your productivity:
- Plan ahead. Make a list of things that must be done before you leave. Work with your boss to delegate assignments to other team members in your absence.
- Spread the word. Let business contacts know in advance of your absence. Make sure you have out-of-office messages for your voice mail and e-mail that include a colleague’s information.
- Prevent technical snafus. Change any soon-to-expire passwords before you leave. Check the storage on your email. Make sure you have enough space for any large attachments you might receive.
- Take an extra day. Avoid returning from vacation the night before you plan to return to work.
- Reorient yourself slowly. Unless something urgent comes up, spend a few hours refreshing your memory about projects and deadlines.