Whether you’re a new graduate or a seasoned professional, it’s always essential to put your best foot forward. Here are seven common job hunting mistakes from Accountemps, a staffing company for accounting and finance professionals, and how to avoid them:
1. Thinking small. Spread the word of your job hunt to everyone you know and take advantage of professional networking Web sites and contacts in your local business community.
2. Adopting a one-size-fits-all approach . Tailor each resume and personalize each cover letter to the particular opportunity.
3. Failing to proofread. Be vigilant about
spelling, grammar and punctuation in all written communications,
Web pages and thank-you notes.
4. Remaining in the dark. Uncover beyond-the-basics knowledge of the job and company in order to better communicate specific ways you can contribute to the organization’s success.
5. Posting indiscriminately. Consider your online image and don’t post anything that would appear unprofessional.
6. Leaving a bad first impression. Avoid using off-color or overly cute e-mail addresses and keep voice mail greetings clear and professional.
7. Failing to
thank others. Express appreciation to everyone
who helps in your job search, whether or not their efforts are
Source: Accountemps, www.accountemps.com.