The most important factors in growing and retaining leaders over the next 10 years will be
1. A formal leadership development strategy.
2. The support of top management.
3. A formal succession planning process.
4. Recognizing that leaders must develop other leaders.
5. A big enough budget.
6. Measuring the effectiveness of leadership development programs.
7. Providing developmental job assignments.
8. Internal training.
9. Policies that encourage leadership development.
10. Formal appraisal of managers for their development of future leaders.
Source: “Leading into the Future: A Global Study of Leadership,” American Management Association, Sept. 2005.