1. When typing on the iPhone, double-tap the space bar to insert a period.
2. Your iPhone will charge faster in airplane mode.
3. Shake your iPhone to undo what you recently typed.
4. Swipe the iPhone Compass app to the left to use your iPhone as a level.
5. Just as you can assign a unique ringtone to each contact, you can also assign a unique vibration to each contact. To set a specific vibration on an iPhone, select a contact, tap the Edit button in the top-right corner, scroll down to the Ringtone section, and select Vibration to display a list of available vibrations. Select the desired vibration and tap Done (in iOS 7) or Save (in iOS 6 and earlier), and then tap Done (again). Thereafter, the selected vibration pattern will buzz when you receive a call from that contact.
J. Carlton Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a technology consultant, CPE instructor, and a JofA contributing editor.
Note: Instructions for Microsoft Office in “Technology Q&A” refer to the 2013, 2010, and 2007 versions, unless otherwise specified.
Submit a question
Do you have technology questions for this column? Or, after reading an answer, do you have a better solution? Send them to email@example.com. We regret being unable to individually answer all submitted questions.