Editor's note: This is a Web-exclusive exhibit for "Password Management Strategies for Safer Systems."
|Primary Security Risks
|Failing to enhance password security in order to focus on searching for a “perfect” security system and obtaining more funding.
- Immediately improve password security procedures.
|Implementing new system security procedures or a new security system without adequate planning and full knowledge of current system’s capabilities.
- Learn how current system stores and protects passwords.
- Observe employees' password-related practices (for example, check for notes near monitors).
- Identify security system capabilities necessary to ensure employees' adherence to password security requirements.
- Perform a thorough needs analysis before buying new security software.
|Inconsistently enforcing safe password practices.
- Obtain high-visibility, senior management support of safe password practices, and publicize them to all employees.
- Enforce all safe password practices without exception.
- Make adherence to safe password practices a condition of employment.
Also read these other Web-exclusive exhibits:
Safe Password Practices
Glossary of Key Terms