Cloud computing creates unprecedented opportunities for CPA firms to do more chargeable work faster and with better client communications. But transitioning to the cloud and having confidential information accessible over the Internet raises implementation and security concerns that CPA firms must address.
To help CPAs better understand the benefits and challenges of the cloud, the JofA invited five CPAs to share their cloud experiences in a round-table discussion.
Participating in the conversation were:
- Steve Chaney, CPA, founder of Chaney & Associates, a small firm based in Roseville, Calif., that leverages a cloud-based delivery platform to provide outsourced controllership services to more than 300 not-for-profit religious organizations.
- Jennifer Katrulya, CPA, founder and CEO of Danbury, Conn.-based Business Management Resource Group LLC, a firm that uses cloud-based systems to provide outsourced accounting and advisory services to clients across the U.S. and internationally. She also trains other CPA firms in how to make the most of the cloud.
- Carol Kulencavich, CPA, tax principal at Brigante, Cameron, Watters & Strong LLP, a midsize California firm that uses a Web-based workflow tool to manage tax and other services. Her firm also uses a Web-based application that organizes, bookmarks and exports data directly to the tax software.
- Joseph P. Manzelli Jr., CPA/CITP, director of operations for the Fuoco Group LLP, a New York-based midsize firm that uses a Web-based workflow tool to manage tax and other services.
- Michael Smith, CPA/CITP, managing director of RSM McGladrey’s consulting practice and a member of the AICPA’s IT Executive Committee.
Moderating the call was Jeff Drew, senior editor covering technology for the JofA.
The JofA is releasing an edited transcript of the conversation in two parts. The first part, in the February 2012 print issue of the JofA (click here to read), focuses on the advantages, challenges and return on investment of cloud computing. Click here to read an expanded version of the discussion. You can also listen to the dialogue in this podcast.
Part 2 features a discussion of the business impacts of cloud computing and advice for firms considering a move to the cloud. An edited version of the conversation appears in the March 2012 issue of the JofA (click here to read). You can also listen to the dialogue in this podcast.
Technology 2012 Preview Forum
- Part 1: Key Technology Issues for 2012, Oct. 5, 2011
- Part 2: Favorite New Technology, Oct. 12, 2011
- Part 3: Cloud Computing, Oct. 19, 2011
- Part 4: Mobile Technologies: Tablets and Smartphones, Oct. 26, 2011
- Part 5: New Revenue Sources for CPA Firms, Nov. 2, 2011
- Part 6: Social Media, Nov. 9, 2011
- Part 7: Software Trends for 2012, Nov. 16, 2011
- Part 8: Security Issues, Nov. 23, 2011
- Part 9: Hardware Trends for 2012, Nov. 30, 2011
- Part 10: Video, Dec. 7, 2011
The JofA also published edited excerpts of this forum in the November 2011 and December 2011 print issues. The November issue covers mobile technology and cloud computing. (Click here to read "Technology 2012 Preview: Part 1" in the Nov. 2011 JofA.) The December issue will include excerpts from the discussion on social media, software and hardware, security issues and video. (Click here to read "Technology 2012 Preview: Part 2" in the Dec. 2011 JofA.)
Other Journal of Accountancy Technology Articles
Journal of Accountancy Video & Audio
Other AICPA Technology Resources
- The AICPA Information Technology Center: The AICPA IT Center provides a venue for CPAs, their clients, employers, and customers to research, monitor, assess, educate and communicate the impact of technology and its effect on the management of financial information.
- InfoTech Update: A monthly e-newsletter to update you on trends, news, legislation and events of interest to CPAs who practice in the areas of information assurance, internal controls, business process improvement, data analytics, and enhanced business reporting.
More from the JofA:
Find us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | View JofA videos