Considering the fact that much of the data used by CPAs is personal information, it’s no surprise that security issues top their list of concerns when it comes to technology, according to the AICPA’s 20th annual Top Technology Initiatives survey.
For the seventh consecutive year, participants rated “information security management” the most important issue affecting businesses’ IT strategy, investment and implementation in the coming 12 to 18 months.
Also underscoring the importance of security, “privacy management” moved up from fourth to second place on this year’s list, and “secure data file storage, transmission and exchange” came in at No. 3, the first time it has appeared on the list.
Following is the complete list for 2009:
1. Information security management
2. Privacy management
3. Secure data file storage, transmission and exchange
4. Business process improvement, workflow and process exceptions alerts
5. Mobile and remote computing
6. Training and competency
7. Identity and access management
8. Improved application and data integration
9. Document, forms and content knowledge management
10. Electronic data retention strategy
Source: AICPA, www.aicpa.org/toptech.